Home / About Us / History
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

History

In March of 1908, the United States Electrical Manufacturing Company began building electric motors in a 4,000 square foot facility in Los Angeles, California, with 17 employees. Although the company is no longer in existence, the U.S. MOTORS® brand has thrived for more than 100 years and continues to be a symbol of quality, innovation and reliability.

The U.S. MOTORS brand has enjoyed an impressive list of firsts:

1908 – The United States Electrical Manufacturing Company began building electric motors in a 4,000 sf facility in Los Angeles, California, with 17 employees.

1914 – Introduced an improved method of constructing sleeve bearing motors by riveting the motor frame.

1921 – Secured the company’s first export order

1922 – Introduced revolutionary Vertical HOLLOSHAFT® motor for the pumping industry

1924 – Introduced the principle of across the line push button start for induction motors and began marketing the Autostart motor.

1925 – First to make ball bearings standard on all motors

1931 – Began production of Syncrogear motors for low speed, high torque applications

1932 – Introduced the innovative VARIDRIVE® motor, the first enclosed unit combining a constant speed motor with a variable speed transmission.

1952 – Introduced Right Angle Syncrogear motor and HOLLOSHAFT® Right Angle Gear drives for deep well pumping

1957 – Introduced BALL-O-MATIC® for vertical hollowshaft motors.  This non-reverse ratchet prevents reverse rotation within 4.5 degrees of rotation, has unlimited depth setting and can be used in explosion proof applications.

1962 – Became U.S. Electrical Motors Division of Emerson Electric Co.

1969 – Pioneered and developed a custom wheel drive for center pivot irrigation systems

1970 – Introduced UNIMOUNT® extruded aluminum frame motor

1973 – Developed new generation of Speed-A-Matic DC and magnetic variable speed drives.  Motor line extended to include 42” diameters (9600 frame), up to 4,000 horsepower

1983 – Introduced ALLGUARD® Motor Quality System combining the industry’s best motor winding protection with the latest advancements in motor bearing lubrication

1986 – Developed first “off-the-shelf” modular component system

1997 – Introduced WORLD MOTOR® to meet a variety of international applications and national efficiency standards

2000 – U.S. Motors forms the Commercial Industrial Motor Group, a new organization within the Emerson Motor Company

2010 – U.S. MOTORS® brand sold to Nidec Motor Corporation